Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Weekend Organizing

So this past weekend we began some much needed organizing in the big boys room.  I have a ton of great ideas in my head of how I want to their room to look.  Unfortunately my ideas cost lots of money!!  Apparently I have expensive taste!  Anyway I got lots of inspiration from I Heart Organizing, I love that blog!!  She is always posting fantastic ideas on how to organize your home.  Anyway from her blog I got the idea for Lego storage, which has been a thorn in our side for about a year.  So this is what I wanted to get for their room:

TROFAST Storage combination with boxes IKEA Several grooves allow you to place boxes/shelves where you want them. Stackable when used with a lid.


This is from Ikea and costs about $200!  A little out of our price range, and since we are about 3 hours from an Ikea store it just was not an option for us right now.  So we went to plan B, which is to buy plastic drawer storage that we saw at Wal-Mart.  Definitely not my first choice because I wanted something that would last and would look like furniture.  In the end this is how our Lego storage ended up:











 All of the drawers are labeled and the Legos are sorted by color.  Since we didn't have the cash for a second drawer system we went ahead and placed two or three colors in one bin.  We separated the mini figures and weapons into one drawer.  We also put the wheels and steering wheels into one bin.  Hopefully this will work and cut down on the mess and the "I can't find this piece" stuff!!

We also went ahead and removed most of the toys from their room, I know sounds mean right?!  But in reality they only play with their Legos, Batman, and Star Wars toys, so those are the ones that stayed.  We labeled bins (which we already had) and put those toys in the bins.  I had also recently brought up some games and puzzles to keep in their room.  Then of course they have books!  So there is plenty for them to do, and now that there is not so much they will actually be able to find what they are looking for!!  Here is the end result of that:




I love snap top bins!!  They are so fabulous!!  Easy for little hands to use and they are stackable too!  So we also did a little closet organizing, since we have yet to get a door for their closet we store some toys in their as well.  Right now we have one of their book cases for puzzle and game storage.  It is working wonderfully!!   I also use canvas bins for dress up clothes  super hero costumes and another for their stuffed animal or light sabers!



Future plans include removing the cedar from the closet, because we had a roof leak and some of the cedar is cracking.  We are sure there is water damage behind it.  We also can tell that there is no insulation because we feel the draft!  So this summer we plan to remove the cedar and insulate it and then drywall it.  I also would love to get doors on the closet at that time.  If money allows I think we will try to replace their windows and paint their room.  Anyway that is just what "I would like" to have done, whether it actually gets done is another story!!

No comments:

Post a Comment