Friday, April 27, 2012

Curriculum

Curriculum....what to choose???  Its such a tough decision, so many choices.  What if me make the wrong choice?  Do you go with an all included package, or do we pick and choose from different companies?  OH  MY GOODNESS!!  With this being our first year to homeschool we really had no idea where to start.  I started researching online, and asking around to see what people used, what they liked, didn't like and so on.  While talking to a good friend who home schools she suggested that I first look into what style I wanted to use (Charlotte Mason, classical, unit study, ect.).  I then purchased off of Amazon Cathy Duffys book 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum.    So after reading that book I then was able to come to the conclusion that we will be doing a traditional homeschooling method.

After looking into all the choices we had that fit how we wanted to school our children we were able to narrow our choices down to two!  Pretty good considering we had about 6 that looked great!  Our first factor to narrow down was cost, we knew which ones we couldn't afford so we stopped looking at those! Pretty easy!  That got us down to about 3, and then we decided we wanted to try and school all of our children together using pretty much the same curriculum.  That brought us to 2!!  YEAH we are finally getting somewhere!  Lastly it came back to cost and then doing the easy all in one packaged curriculum.  So our final choice was Christian Liberty Press for Big E, he will be in second grade.
Big E's Curriculum from Christian Liberty Press

Some of Little N's Curriculum
Then for Little N we originally decided to just do a few work books here and there and let him explore.  BUT after thinking long and hard, I believe that he will also want to be included in the workbook process, especially since we are using workboxes!  :)  So we went ahead and bought a few Kumon workbooks, a Bright Start Workbook, and we already had a Preschool Workbook.  So I began to look and try to plan for Little N's school and realized that its really hard to come up with stuff to keep him busy.  I had found a preschool curriculum a few weeks back and just couldn't decide if we wanted to get it.  Well last night I went ahead and ordered it.  Its called ABC Jesus Loves Me and I like it because its all laid out for me, it tells me what to teach and when to teach it!  :)  We will still use the Kumon books and other books for extra practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment