Friday, July 24, 2009

It has been a crazy summer for us. To start the weather has really had me down and in a funk. I have tried really hard to bring myself out of it lately. The weather is finally warming up a bit so that helps, but we are still out numbering rainy days to sunny, warm ones. So in my efforts to try and keep those active boys of mine busy, I am cutting my internet time and TV time. I was finding that in my "funk" of a mood I was doing more internet searching and TV/ movie time with the kids awake than I should have. So all day today I have been telling myself (sometimes out loud!) that its not about me! Sounds silly I know but lately I need that out loud reminder to keep my focus on my kids and realize that they are only young once and the way that I teach them is through my actions.

Yesterday was another kind of cloudy wet morning so I decided to make play dough for the kids to play with. I am not a fun mom who lets her kids play with play dough a lot, even though we have hard wood floors its just stresses me out. So I dug around and found a play dough recipe that I thought I would try. I have tried many others in the past and none that I have been too fond of. They were either too watery, too sticky, or just didn't stick together very well. This is the easiest one I think I have found and I LOVE it!! So just in case you would like to try it here is the recipe:
2 Cups of flour
1 tablespoon of oil
1/2 cup of salt
3/4 cup of water

Mix that all together and store in an airtight container or ziploc bag. I did need to add a little bit more water to make it managable. But once I got it mixed together at the right consistency it was wonderful. I did add a little food coloring too, just to make it a little more fun. I would suggest adding it before you start mixing it together.

I hope your kids have fun with this new play dough recipe, I know mine did! I really like using edible stuff because of the 18 month olds habbit of putting everything in his mouth!! So it was nice to not have to worry about what he was ingesting because it was basically flour and water!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to try this one because the recipe I have requires you to cook it. (I must admit, though, the recipe I have worked really well! We had a play dough party for DearDaughter1 for her 2nd birthday and it's still good 'til today...Yeah, after 2 years, we still have some lying around...) Anyway, I'll try this today...

    ReplyDelete